Standards for your new home

Our service standards outline the standards you can expect when you move in. Our aim is to provide a home that is in good condition, safe and clean.

When you move in

We want you to be able to move into your new home as soon as possible, so we will carry out some non-essential repairs after you have moved in. You will be given a list of these repairs when you sign the tenancy agreement. We’ll also discuss with you how long it will take for the repairs to be carried out.

Services and Utilities

  • Where there is a gas supply to your new home you will need to contact us to arrange for your gas to be turned on and safety checks undertaken
  • Water and electricity will have been checked and turned on
  • You’ll be given information on the location and use of your electrical consumer unit
  • You’ll be told where your gas isolation valve and water stop tap are located
  • Where available to us, you will be given the operating instructions of any electrical appliances

We have set standards to ensure new homes are:


  • The garden is tidy with any grass cut
  • The property is clear, clean and waterproof
  • There are no visible leaks
  • Doors and windows are watertight


  • Gas and/or electric supplies are tested as safe
  • Property alterations have been inspected and approved
  • There is no visible mould or damp


  • External doors are reinforced, with high standard locks


  • The kitchen has space for essential appliances such as the cooker and fridge
  • The number of kitchen units is suitable for the size of the property
  • There is an electricity and where possible a gas supply for the cooker

If you have a gas cooker, you will need to have it installed by a qualified gas engineer. You will need to arrange to have your own washing machine plumbed in and will need to buy and fit your own floor covering. You should arrange your own contents insurance (please ask us about this as City West has information on how you can do this).


Some areas of property maintenance are the tenant’s responsibility. This includes some repairs and taking care of external areas to maintain the visual appearance of the neighbourhood. Please refer to your tenancy agreement for more information. The main areas of responsibility are:

  • The internal decoration of the property, including filling small holes and cracks in the plasterwork
  • Ensuring gardens are free from rubbish and maintained
  • Ensuring the shared communal area is in a presentable and tidy Condition
  • Preventing condensation, for example by allowing sufficient ventilation of the property (our ‘damp and mould factsheet’ provides helpful advice)
  • The replacement of lost keys
  • The replacement of toilet seats, bath panels, internal doors and other fixtures and fittings which were in working order when the tenant moved into the property.

When a customer moves out we expect them to leave their home in good condition. We offer customer incentives for leaving homes in good condition to ensure that new customers will be able to move in as soon as possible.We are aware that some people may require support so they can meet the requirements and responsibilities set out above and in their tenancy agreement to sustain their tenancy. Please tell us as soon as possible if you think you may need assistance, we will always try and tailor our services to suit your specific needs. All of our homes meet the Government’s Decent Homes Standard Here are some of the services we provide as your landlord to keep your home well-maintained:

  • We inspect all homes and carry out essential repairs before we let somebody move into one of our homes
  • We complete any non-urgent repairs or external maintenance within three months of the tenant moving in
  • We provide a 24 hour emergency repair service all year round
  • By law we carry out a gas safety check on your home every year and you must provide access for gas checks to be carried out


  • Be careful when decorating your new home as the use of steamers to remove wallpaper can damage plaster work
  • You are responsible for paying for utilities and will need to arrange for these services to be put into your name when you move in
  • You will be provided with three sets of door keys, including door entry fobs where needed. Please note that you will be charged for replacement keys and fobs.