Saving water top tips
In just one day a dripping tap can waste enough water to fill a bath.
Whether you want to save water and help the environment or reduce your water meter charges, here are some great water saving tips.
- Having a shower instead of a bath saves litres of water.
- Reducing your shower time to around five minutes a day can save litres of water and £190 a year on bills.
- Reuse water from steaming or cooking for soup bases.
- Soak dishes and pans instead of running the tap whilst you scrub them.
- Don’t use running water to defrost food.
- Keep some tap water in the fridge instead of running the tap until it becomes cold.
- Wash your fruit and veg in a small bowl of water instead of under a running tap and recycle any water to water plants.
- Switch off the tap whilst brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Set a kitchen timer when washing the car, watering your garden, showering or brushing your teeth.
- Use a nozzle spray on hosepipes that can switch on/off.
- Get a water butt for your garden to collect rain water.
For more ways to save money on your water bill, visit our help and support page.
For more water saving tips visit www.unitedutilities.com.