Fire Safety at Christmas time

Posted: 17/12/2018

We want everyone to remember Christmas for the right reasons so we please follow our tips and advice on staying safe from fire and also check that relatives, neighbours and friends are safe too .

There are lots of reasons to take extra care at Christmas. We tend to use Christmas tree lights that have not been out of the box for a year, candles are used more for decoration, there is lots of extra fuel to burn in the form of wrapping paper, decorations and cards and many people have an alcoholic drink who would not normally, especially when cooking! We also use extra electric sockets, which include the use of extension leads.

Top tips for fire safety at Christmas:

· Check your Christmas tree lights carry the British Safety Standard sign.

· Test the batteries in your smoke alarm every week. Never remove them.

· Most fires start in the kitchen. Avoid leaving a cooker unattended and remember – cooking and drinking alcohol don’t mix!

· Make sure your family and visitors know how to escape in an emergency.

· Never place candles near your Christmas tree or materials that can catch light easily.

· Decorations can burn easily – so don’t attach them to lights or heaters.

· Keep candles, lighters and matches out of children’s reach.

· Never leave burning candles unattended.

· Never overload electrical sockets. Using extension leads properly is critical to your safety. With continuous use over time, an extension lead can rapidly deteriorate, creating a potentially dangerous electric shock or fire hazard. ... If a lead is covered, heat cannot escape, which may result in a fire hazard

· Always switch Christmas lights off and unplug them before you go to bed.

· Make sure cigarettes are put out properly –

Never smoke in bed, and take care when you’re tired. It’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and set furniture alightDrugs and alcohol will cause you to lose your concentration and this could be lethal when combined with smoking.Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended - they can easily overbalance as they burn down.Use child-resistant lighters and matchboxes - every year children die by starting fires with matches and lighters. Keep these where children can't reach them.