Universal Credit

Important changes to Universal Credit

The following information applies to people of working age only.

From 26th September 2018 any new Universal Credit (UC) claimants living in Salford will go onto the ”Full Digital Service”. This means the whole UC claim will be managed online through one single online account. Claimants will login using a username and password to make a claim, view payment details, search for a job and report any changes in circumstances.

If you already receive UC the Department for Work and Pensions will contact you from September 2018 onwards and you will transfer onto the “Full Digital Service” within 3 months.

The really important bit:

With Universal Credit, your housing payment is paid to you, not City West Housing Trust. This means you are responsible for paying your rent.

This may be a big change; setting up a direct debit is easy and takes the hassle out of paying your rent, it can also help with budgeting.

From September 2018, to make a UC claim you will need:

  • Internet Access
  • An email address
  • A bank account (to receive payments)
  • A valid mobile phone number
  • Your national insurance number
  • Proof of identity - something with a photo, like a passport or driving licence
  • A recent rent statement

We’re here to help and support you – if you make a claim please contact us, to discuss how this affects your rent account

If you are struggling to pay your rent or if you need any money advice then get in touch today. Our Income Team are on hand if you have any questions or feel you would need some support setting up an e-mail, accessing the internet or setting up a bank account. Contact us

Be prepared – you will need to access the internet and basic computer skills.