Rent Frequently asked questions

How is my rent calculated?

Your rent is calculated using Government guidelines, depending on the size, location and value of your home. You will receive a Rent Statement every April or every three months if you are in arrears. The statement tells you the rent due, payments you have made over and whether you are in credit or in arrears.

How can I check my current rent balance?

You can see your rent balance and keep fully up-to-date with your current and recent rent payments by signing up to the ‘My Account’ service on this website.

It’s easy to register for this secure service. You can either sign up online via the My Account button or call us to set up an account.

You can also call us on 0300 123 55 22 to speak to an advisor about your rent balance.

What should I do if I can’t pay my rent?

We understand that customers can experience financial difficulties and are here to help. If you can’t pay your rent for any reason, please contact us as soon as possible. We can offer support and advice with debt problems. Contact us to find out more.If you fall behind with your payments and do not keep to your agreed payment plan, we will take action against you. This could eventually result in the loss of your home.

How do I calculate my benefits entitlement?

You can use our Benefits Calculator to make sure you are receiving everything you and your family are entitled to. You will need to have your income details and complete it properly to confirm your welfare benefit entitlement.

How can I claim Discretionary Housing Payments?

If you are receiving part Housing Benefit and are struggling to make your rent payments, you may be able to apply for Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). DHP is a top-up of Housing Benefit from Salford City Council to help those who are struggling to pay their rent. If you would like to apply, please contact us for an application form.